Tags

, , ,

The big hole I made wasn't covered for about two days -- wanna see something funny?? -- a YANKEE running from a lil ole possum/critter thing that wanted to visit through this hole...George almost had a heart attack :)

The big hole wasn’t covered for about two days  — but it was worth a laugh to see my YANKEE running from a lil ole possum/critter thing that wanted to visit … George almost had a heart attack 🙂

We thought we could outrun ‘Mr. SCOPE CREEP’ man, but he got us in a BIG WAY last week.

— Actually, it’s a simple water leak that got us. — one that is super easy to prevent — so it makes this one so SUPER FRUSTRATING!!

The new problem area is part of the kitchen, but it is also a wall that houses the plumbing to our master bath room and tub.

This is the kitchen wall which also houses our master bath plumbing. You can see where I've pulled back sheet rock to see how much the leak has affected the framing.

This is the kitchen wall which also houses our master bath plumbing. You can see where I’ve pulled back sheet rock to see how much the leak has affected the framing.

And, now, due to the improper sealing of bath tub fixtures we have this ‘leaky’ issue. The water running in our master shower finds a tiny microscopic hole and drips onto the bath tub framing (which also helps give one of our kitchen walls its structure).

What’s so frustrating is that this could have been prevented with a $5 tube of caulking. (ok, and someone’s time to do the caulking, but still, you get my point.)

I discovered the leak last week when I was pulling a baseboard from the wall. Sheetrock was coming up with the baseboard a little bit too easy, like DAMP sheetrock. ERRRRRRRR.

This exposed enough of a hole that I could see some of the bath tub framing was wet and rotted. So, I pulled more drywall for a better view. (SEE picture of the BIG HOLE I made.)

I just knew what was coming — and GULPED loudly, I’m sure.

I touched the subfloor under the tub with a pencil. And it flecked up like sawdust.

I ran tests to confirm my suspicions that the leak was caused by improper caulking of fixtures.

I sprayed water for a five minutes over the fixtures…then walked around to the kitchen so I could see where the water was dripping out…and voila…water drizzled onto the 2 X 4 framing like I suspected.

So, I’m pretty sure we’ll have to replace the subfloor under the tub, which means removing this heavy ceramic tub. (Good thing we have a big hole in the wall now to pull it through lol!!)

We’ve got a general contractor coming tomorrow to discuss the project.

So, with all this, any movement on the kitchen remodel has stalled a bit. And this has me a little bummed.